Friday, March 23, 2007

Modifying Windows Gadgets

One of the things I like to be on my desktop all the time is my ‘To Do List’. It keeps on increasing, and hence having a look at the list everyday is necessary to remind me that I still need to do those things.

Windows Vista comes with a cute and tiny Notes gadget with a sticky note kind of look. But it was too small for me and I wondered why they never had settings to decide its size.



I tried downloading some similar gadgets, but none was satisfying. They either lacked features or were too clumsy. After reading a white paper on gadgets, I found it was very easy to make a gadget of our own. But it was easier to modify an existing one with the features we wanted. :)


I took a copy of the Notes gadget source files from C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\Notes.Gadget and placed it in C:\Users\Sameer\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\LongNotes.Gadget folder. Edited the settings.html file to add a text box for height and modified the javascript files to change the height of notes according to the settings. It was that easy and I had the ‘Long Notes’ I wanted.

5 comments:

  1. Nice one... feel like to explore the features of vista... Heard that one could create their own gadgets with vista.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance of you sharing that gadget? I've been looking for exactly what you have to no avail, and I don't have the skills to do it myself. Sure would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi lise,
    I will post the gadget files by this weekend... Keep checking back or send me an email at sameerct@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sameer! Works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete